Our Lady of Lourdes Journey of Faith
IN THE BEGINNING:
The history of Our Lady of Lourdes Church in Vidor, Texas, began November 6, 1937, when two acres of land were bought in what is today downtown Vidor. A small group of 25 Catholic families first gathered together in the auditorium of the High School, and later in the second floor of the newly constructed sub-courthouse hall, to celebrate the Sunday Mass.
With these difficulties Father Joseph O. Berberich approached Mr. & Mrs. John H. Phelan of Beaumont, who generously agreed to donate the financial assistance for the church building. The structure, mission style of 40'x 85', was completed the following year and dedicated by the Most Reverend C.E. Byrne, Bishop of Galveston, on Labor Day, September 5, 1938.
For ten years the Mission of Our Lady of Lourdes was tended from Saint Mary's Church in Orange. Fathers George Berberich and Joseph O. Berberich were in charge of ministering to both churches.
BECOMING A PARISH
In 1948 the mission grew to a count of 80 families and it attained the status of an independent parish. From 1948 to 2003, Our Lady of Lourdes was run by the Augustinian priests from Spain.